Monday, January 16, 2017

Posted by \m/ The Power of the Riff \m/ | File under :

This time for In the Riff We Trust we put the all important questions to Omar Zainal of Bahrain thrashers Hellionight whose debut self titled ep hit last year and my ears are still getting over the fall-out. Every metalhead knows what it's like to listen to metal at ear splitting volume until your ears practically bleed well that is what I have been doing with this ep since I have got it. Anyway what are the riffs which Omar has chosen, well read on........!

THE RIFF WHICH MADE YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GUITAR IS?

I started playing acoustic guitar at first, playing chords instead of riffs. I don't remember if there was a certain riff that inspired me, but getting into metal and learning guitar, it was obvious that I would try to play metal riffs on an acoustic guitar.


WHAT IS THE FIRST RIFF YOU LEARNED TO PLAY?

I'm not really sure which riff but I think it was Black Sabbath's Iron Man. I remember it being part of a guitar lesson showing you how to do power chords.




YOUR TOP THREE METAL RIFFERS ARE?

Jeff Hanneman
Andy LaRocque
Michael Denner & Hank Shermann


WHO IS THE MASTER OF THE RIFF?

Tony Iommi without a doubt.

THE RIFF WHICH IS THE SOUNDTRACK TO YOUR LIFE IS?

Slayer - Angel of Death




THE RIFF YOU WISH YOU WROTE IS?

Scorpions - Sails of Charon (intro riff)


THE WORST METAL RIFF EVER IS?

That's a hard one. I don't think I can remember a really bad riff but I guess any djent deathcore breakdown would be my choice of a bad riff.


RIFF FOR RIFF YOUR FIVE FAVOURITE ALBUMS ARE?

I'd be a hypocrite if I choose 5 albums out of all the stuff that is out there. The albums I've chosen are what instantly came into my mind and are definitely on my top list.

Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Xentrix - For Who's Advantage?
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic


A NON METALHEAD ASKS YOU WHAT DOES METAL SOUND LIKE, THE RIFF YOU PLAY THEM IS?

Judas Priest - Electric Eye




THE RIFF YOU WANT PLAYED AT YOUR FUNERAL IS?

Black Sabbath - Electric Funeral


WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT RIFFS ANYWAY?

Metal is known to be a riff based type of music. So I guess the very origins of metal would be riffs. Not only that, the amount of varsity in riffs which resulted into creating different sub genres of metal based on riffs. So yeah, riffs are that big of a deal when it comes to metal.



https://www.facebook.com/hellionight
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hellionight

0 comments:

Post a Comment