Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Posted by \m/ The Power of the Riff \m/ | File under :

In the Riff we Trust with Greg Murphy of Pseudo/Sentai



THE RIFF WHICH MADE YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GUITAR IS?
Rush riffs such as the big ones from Tom Sawyer, Cygnus X-1 made me want to play the bass, but I'd say maybe the riff that made me want to play the guitar most of all was the riff from "Inertiatic ESP"
WHAT IS THE FIRST RIFF YOU LEARNED TO PLAY?
When I was 15, the first song I learned to play was a song that I wrote, which had a particuarly lame riff. We all start somewhere.
YOUR TOP THREE METAL RIFFERS ARE?
I'm going to go with 3 modern metal musicians because to go through all of history would be too much.
Hasjarl (Deathspell Omega)
David DiSanto (Vektor)
Luc Lemay (Gorguts)
WHO IS THE MASTER OF THE RIFF?
Robert Fripp (King Crimson)
THE RIFF WHICH IS THE SOUNDTRACK TO YOUR LIFE IS?
Deathspell Omega- Sand from their Drought EP. Pretty much the whole minute and a half long song
THE RIFF YOU WISH YOU WROTE IS?
Cardiacs - The Obivious Identity - the main riff
THE WORST METAL RIFF EVER IS?
Hoogie Boogie Land- Complete. 
Though, it could also be considered one of the best riffs ever if you want to deconstruct metal or whatever.
RIFF FOR RIFF YOUR FIVE FAVOURITE ALBUMS ARE?
These aren't my favorite albums, just my favorite metal riff albums right now. This list could change every week.
Vektor- Terminal Redux
Gorguts- Obscura
Thorns- s/t
King Crimson- Red
Demilich- Nespithe
A NON METALHEAD ASKS YOU WHAT DOES METAL SOUND LIKE, THE RIFF YOU PLAY THEM IS?
Either Demilich - When the Sun Drank the Weight of Water or Emperor- Curse You All Men!
THE RIFF YOU WANT PLAYED AT YOUR FUNERAL IS?
My favorite riff on the last album I will record before I die
WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT RIFFS ANYWAY?

I guess because deep down, even the most complex humans want to have a sense of familiarity to things they devour. Riffs allow for the repetition of a musical theme that you can subconsciously replicate in your mind so that the next time it cycles through, you're mentally singing along with it. Predictability and repetition are reflective of our experiences on this planet, and they are 2 of the things we can never escape. That which we enjoy we will repeat because we chase after fleeting experiences, and things we dislike are bound to happen again, just like good riffs/music fills the void and bad riffs that we will certainly hear repeatedly if we go anywhere other than our homes.


https://www.facebook.com/PseudoSentai/


0 comments:

Post a Comment