Saturday, October 24, 2015

Posted by \m/ The Power of the Riff \m/ | File under :

THE RIFF WHICH MADE YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GUITAR IS?

It is cheesy but I was young when I started discovering metal for myself and the riff that made me say “I can learn guitar and play like that” is the main riff to Enter Sandman - Metallica.

WHAT IS THE FIRST RIFF YOU LEARNED TO PLAY?

Aside from the classic “Smoke on the Water” intro lick that almost everybody picks up, the first riff that I learned was, heh, the Ritchie Valens / Los Lobos version of La Bamba.

YOUR TOP THREE METAL RIFFERS ARE?

There are so many great, heavy metal riffers out there but to have a “variety” I would go with Dimebag Darrell, Dave Mustaine, and Eric Peterson

WHO IS THE MASTER OF THE RIFF?

Just because he would say it, haha, Dave Mustaine.

THE RIFF WHICH IS THE SOUNDTRACK TO YOUR LIFE IS?

Domination - Pantera. The slow, heavy, groovy riff right after the solo. It’s heavy and on beat, then the rhythm goes on the back beat but is somehow still lined up, just like my life heh.

THE RIFF YOU WISH YOU WROTE IS?

The intro/main riff to Cowboys From Hell - Pantera

THE WORST METAL RIFF EVER IS?

There’s not a metal riff off the top of my mind that makes me roll my eyes and want to rip the the speaker cable out of the stereo. That’s not to say that one doesn’t exist… ”One man’s trash is another’s treasure” ??...haha!

RIFF FOR RIFF YOUR FIVE FAVOURITE ALBUMS ARE?

Just five?! That is tough as there are sooo much to chose from. There is no particular order to this...

Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
Powerslave - Iron Maiden
First Strike Still Deadly - Testament
Rust in Peace - Megadeth
Among the Living - Anthrax

A NON METALHEAD ASKS YOU WHAT DOES METAL SOUND LIKE, THE RIFF YOU PLAY THEM IS?

The verse riff to The Four Horsemen - Metallica

THE RIFF YOU WANT PLAYED AT YOUR FUNERAL IS?

Solitude/Funeral/When the Night Falls - Iced Earth. All three songs in their entirety as either the bon fire is being lit or I’m lowered into the ground. But if I had to choose one, let’s say the chorus riff to Panama - Van Halen. It’s not funeral-esk but I like that tune and hey, it’s my funeral!

WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT RIFFS ANYWAY?

The power to a great song lies within the riff. You have a great riff, you’re going to have a great song. The riff sets the mood of the song. It gives the listener something to hold on to, something to daydream to, something feed off of, and so forth. The artist behind the riff can translate what they’re feeling and what they want the world to know and feel by the power of a riff. Music is a universal language and requires no education to enjoy and understand. So if you have riffs, then hey, let’s hear ‘em!!

\m/

0 comments:

Post a Comment