Thursday, July 9, 2015

Posted by \m/ The Power of the Riff \m/ | File under :
HE RIFF WE TRUST! WITH MERCY BROWN!





THE RIFF WHICH MADE YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GUITAR IS?
KoRn – Falling Away From Me (3:33)
I don’t think I ever actually figured out how to play it…

WHAT IS THE FIRST RIFF YOU LEARNED TO PLAY?
Nirvana – Come as You Are (Intro)
Pretty standard for someone my age from the PNW

YOUR TOP THREE METAL RIFFERS ARE?

I’ve always been into the more rhythmic style of guitar playing… these guys all have killer right hands and great riffs!

Jed Simon (Strapping Young Lad, Zimmers Hole, Devin Townsend, Tenet, Front Line Assembly, Scar the Martyr)
Wacław "Vogg" Kiełtyka (Decapitated, Vader, Lux Occulta)
Tommy Victor (Prong, Danzig, Ministry, Tapeworm)

WHO IS THE MASTER OF THE RIFF?
StSanders

THE RIFF WHICH IS THE SOUNDTRACK TO YOUR LIFE IS?
Devin Townsend – Ants (0:25)

THE RIFF YOU WISH YOU WROTE IS?
Mercy Brown – Lemons McNutt (Intro)
Our old guitarist Ryan Kruger wrote the main riff (and most of the others) in Lemons McNutt and I never get sick of playing it!

THE WORST METAL RIFF EVER IS?
Rolling Stones – Symphony for the Devil (3:13)
I guess this isn’t metal, or a riff... but the lead playing in Symphony for the Devil always makes my skin crawl.  Keith Richards always seems like a cool dude in interviews though!

RIFF FOR RIFF YOUR FIVE FAVOURITE ALBUMS ARE?

Hard to narrow it down to five, but these have all had a lasting impact on me:

System of a Down – Toxicity
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Immortal – Sons of Northern Darkness
Strapping Young Lad - Self Titled
Type O Negative - World Coming Down


A NON METALHEAD ASKS YOU WHAT DOES METAL SOUND LIKE, THE RIFF YOU PLAY THEM IS?
Bloodbath – Hades Rising (0:11)


THE RIFF YOU WANT PLAYED AT YOUR FUNERAL IS?
Does it have to be a guitar riff?
Matt Mulholland – My Heart Will Go On (Recorder by Candlelight)

WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT RIFFS ANYWAY?

I’ve never been great at writing catchy riffs as I usually end up complicating and drawing out a lot of my musical ideas, but I have a huge appreciation for guitarists that are able to write memorable parts that sound cool outside the context of the song.  R1FF$!!!!!!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment