Monday, July 28, 2014

Posted by \m/ The Power of the Riff \m/ | File under :



FOR THIS WEEKS IN THE RIFF WE TRUST WE PUT THE HARD QUESTIONS TO MITA FROM MISTRESS.



Hey, this is Mita, the guitar player from Mistress.  Thanks for having me here, and for having such excellent topics of discussion!

THE RIFF WHICH MADE YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GUITAR IS?

There are so many!  Probably "Come As You Are" by Nirvana.  My friend was playing it on an acoustic, so I asked him to show it to me.  That was the first time I picked up a guitar.

WHAT IS THE FIRST RIFF YOU LEARNED TO PLAY?

"Come As You Are" by Nirvana, but my first real accomplishment was learning the "Mr Crowley" solo.

YOUR TOP THREE METAL RIFFERS ARE?

In order a very particular order:
#1.  Myself
#2.  James Hetfield
#3.  Angus Young (Not really metal, but what a monster riffer!)

WHO IS THE MASTER OF THE RIFF?

I am the master of the riff!  There are a couple of others too I guess.  The two guys in the previous question are pretty good.  Dimebag Darrell has some amazing riffs even though I never really got into Pantera.  Historically speaking though, I think that title belongs to Tony Iommi.

THE RIFF WHICH IS THE SOUNDTRACK TO YOUR LIFE IS?

It depends on the day really.  I go from "Battery" to "Fell On Black Days" on a regular basis.

THE RIFF YOU WISH YOU WROTE IS?

"You Really Got Me", Van Halen version.  What a badass riff!!  This riff also demonstrates the fact that it's not all about writing the riff.  Playing it is half the battle.  The original version by The Kinks is cool, but it wasn't until Eddie played it that it became so epic.

THE WORST METAL RIFF EVER IS?

About 90% of Dream Theater riffs....  No hate mail please.  I saw a "how to write a riff" video from John Petrucci.  He played some crappy thing in A.  He then said, well, let's make it a little more "unique", so let's lower this note by a half step.  Now let's raise this one a bit.  Now let's make the whole thing in 9.3/pi^2 time.  It sounded exactly as you can imagine.  Anything that is written from a mathematical perspective first is the worst metal riff ever.

RIFF FOR RIFF YOUR FIVE FAVOURITE ALBUMS ARE?

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Cradle of Filth - Midian
Ozzy - Blizzard of Oz
Angra - Temple of Shadows
Nirvana - Nevermind (again, no hate mail please)

A NON METALHEAD ASKS YOU WHAT DOES METAL SOUND LIKE, THE RIFF YOU PLAY THEM IS?

Any one of my songs obviously.  I might do Battery for an encore though.

THE RIFF YOU WANT PLAYED AT YOUR FUNERAL IS?

That will never happen since I am immortal.  The riff I would play at someone else's funeral is "One".

WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT RIFFS ANYWAY?

The number one awesome thing about riffs is the groove!  You can really rock out, head bang, get energized from a riff.  It's hard to get those feelings from non riff music.



https://www.facebook.com/mistressrocks
http://www.mistressband.com/
http://mistress.bandcamp.com/
http://www.reverbnation.com/mistress

0 comments:

Post a Comment