Monday, July 21, 2014

Posted by \m/ The Power of the Riff \m/ | File under :


For our debut installment of In the riff we trust we sit down and talk to Cody Daniels from Giant of the Mountain for a chat about the almighty riff.



THE RIFF WHICH MADE YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GUITAR IS?

I think it was my 12th birthday or something and on our way back home from Pizza Hut my mom put on some ZZ Top and I couldn’t help but listen to the guitar solo and think that I really wanted to be able to do that.

WHAT IS THE FIRST RIFF YOU LEARNED TO PLAY?

My first riff was AC/DC’s back in black.  I was into a lot of classic rock before I discovered metal. 



YOUR TOP THREE METAL RIFFERS ARE?

  I’d have to say my top 3 riffers are Mikael from Opeth, Ihsahn from Emperor, and Chuck from Death.  All three have a progressive style, and each represent a different aspect of metal.  



WHO IS THE MASTER OF THE RIFF?

Tony Iommi hands down.  Everything from the Ozzy years like, War Pigs, Into the Void, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath to the Dio days with Children of the Sea, and Over and Over shows why he’s a legend.

THE RIFF WHICH IS THE SOUNDTRACK TO YOUR LIFE IS?

The riff before the solo in Ozzy’s Diary of a Madman right after it comes out of that clean interlude.  That riff could inspire the dead to rise from their coffins and rule the earth.  It really hits the spot for me.

THE RIFF YOU WISH YOU WROTE IS?

The grooving riff in the middle of Emperor’s The Loss and Curse of Reverence.  I will admit that I have written a knock off version of that riff before.  It’s just so good!

THE WORST METAL RIFF EVER IS?

I would say Metallica’s Enter Sandman, because (in my opinion) it marked the beginning of the greatest crapfest this side of Hellyeah.



RIFF FOR RIFF YOUR FIVE FAVOURITE ALBUMS ARE?

Death – Symbolic
Opeth – My Arms, Your Hearse
Hour of Penance – Paradogma
Emperor – IX Equilibrium
Watain – Sworn to the Dark

A NON METALHEAD ASKS YOU WHAT DOES METAL SOUND LIKE, THE RIFF YOU PLAY THEM IS?

Giant of the Mountain – Moon Worship.  If I can get someone to think Giant of the Mountain when they think of metal, I’ve done my job.  You gots to be promotin’!

THE RIFF YOU WANT PLAYED AT YOUR FUNERAL IS?

Opeth – A Fair Judgement.  It’s got a vibe similar to what I imagine would be at a funeral.  The riff at the end is super huge, but it would lose its power without the context of the whole song.   


WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT RIFFS ANYWAY?

The power and energy.  A good riff can make you bang your head until your neck hurts.  The feeling that makes you want to put your fist through the wall without even being mad.  It’s a pretty magical thing. 

GIANT OF THE MOUNTAIN'S LATEST ALBUM "MOON WORSHIP'' IS OUT NOW AND AVAILABLE DIRECTLY FROM THE BAND THROUGH THEIR BANDCAMP PAGE.

https://www.facebook.com/giantofthemountain
http://giantofthemountain.bandcamp.com/
http://www.reverbnation.com/giantofthemountain

0 comments:

Post a Comment